[squid-users] Squid 4.8 Issue

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Tue Sep 3 00:22:47 UTC 2019

On 9/2/19 6:53 PM, service at 4gproxies.net wrote:

> I’m wondering how we can implement rules inside Squid 4.8 that if a
> parent cache_peer is dead at the time of the proxy request, squid
> automatically bounces it to another parent cache_peer instead of the
> connection just timing out and not fulfilling the request due to the
> current cache_peer being offline or otherwise unavailable. Basically
> what I want to do here is to have squid automatically choose any working
> cache_peer parent instead of the request just timing out or dying.

If there is enough time (see connect_timeout and forward_timeout), there
are other destinations to try, and a few other special conditions are
met, then Squid should automatically re-forward the request to the next
peer or origin server upon hitting a connection timeout with the
previous peer or origin server. For details, see
https://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/InnerWorkings#When_does_Squid_re-forward_a_client_request.3F

If your Squid does not re-forward, check the above-mentioned options and
the wiki page to determine why. If all those preconditions are met, but
your Squid still does not re-forward, file a bug report. Posting the
corresponding access.log records and compressed cache.log (with
debug_options set to "ALL,2 44,5 17,5" or higher) collected while
reproducing the problem using a single HTTP transaction may help in triage.