[squid-users] SIGBUS attempting to use rock

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Fri Oct 18 13:49:15 UTC 2019

On 10/17/19 7:13 PM, Antonio SJ Musumeci wrote:
> On 10/17/2019 5:47 PM, Alex Rousskov wrote:
>> Unfortunately, a simple implementation may produce a lot of false
>> warnings in some environments while a quality implementation may not be
>> as easy as you think: Accessing free space info may require special
>> permissions and correctly accounting for the existing shared memory
>> segments in that partition would be tricky (they can be leftovers from
>> the previous Squid run that will be overwritten or something completely
>> unrelated to Squid). Even finding the right partition name in a portable
>> way may be tricky!
>>
>> IMHO, the future development directions outlined when adding
>> shared_memory_locking are more promising in general, but I would be
>> happy to learn that there are even better options.

> Clearly Squid is aware of the path where these temp files are being
> created

Actually, the location of shared memory segments is chosen by the OS.
Not all OSes do what Linux does. The code dealing with [naming] shared
memory segments is more complicated than you probably imagine. However,
let's not spend time arguing about these low-level specifics here: If
you can contribute an improvement, please post a plan on squid-dev.
Otherwise, let's leave these low-level details to those contributing
improvements.

Cheers,