[squid-users] How to use "cache", "store_miss" and "send_hit" directives?

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Wed Oct 16 15:38:28 UTC 2019

On 10/16/19 10:38 AM, Robert wrote:

> after upgrading to 4.6 from 3.x
> I am struggling with caching objects. The goal is, to have objects
> requested by proxy-basic clients not to be cached, but objects
> requested by proxy-standard to be cached normally.
>
> Tried this:
>
>   cache deny proxy-basic
>   cache allow all
>
> And this:
>
>   cache allow proxy-standard
>   cache deny all

Based on your description, you probably want the former or its simpler
version:

    cache deny proxy-basic

> If I use ANY "cache ___" directive other than a (useless) "cache allow
> all", caching is completely disabled for all ACLs.

FYI: Squid does not (yet) treat the "all" ACL specially -- Squid does
not ignore or automatically apply seemingly "useless" rules with it. If
you are getting correct results with "allow all" and incorrect results
with "allow foo", then your foo ACL does not match (in that specific
context). Why it does not match is a separate question.

> What am I doing wrong?

Nothing that warrants discussing here IMO. I suggest trying the latest
v4 release and, if the problem is still there, filing a bug report. If
you can share a compressed ALL,7+ cache.log while reproducing the
problem with a single transaction, we may be able to triage this problem
faster. Squid wiki has instructions at
https://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/BugReporting#Debugging_a_single_transaction

HTH,

Alex.