[squid-users] want to change squid name

Alex Crow alex at nanogherkin.com
Wed Oct 3 17:49:28 UTC 2018

Hi Ahmad,

I still don't understand properly. Do you want to run Squid as your own
nonprivileged user, "ahmad" or "stinger", instead of the "squid" or
"webproxy" user that is the usual in distros? That is easy, but trying
to sed squid to <something else> in the codebase is likely to fail,
imagine trying to do that with the Linux kernel!

If that is the case, just set the user and group in the squid.conf and
make sure that said user/group has the right privileges to access the
various directories and files it needs. No problem at all, I've done it
myself.

There should be no need to edit all the source code and recompile for
this. Then for "hiding" your proxy use there are the other parameters in
squid.conf that remove HTTP headers (but by doing do, be aware it's an
RFC violation and hiding that your clients are behind a proxy can cause
lots of issues, no. 1 being that Google will keep telling you that
you're launching a DoS attack). It may also have legal implications in
some countries, especially if you're forwarding for devices/clients not
owned by you or your organisation.

I'm just curious as to why you have so little detail of what you need in
this request when other posts you have made have supplied much more
detail, logs, etc.

I'm sorry if this is all down to a language barrier and English is not
your first language.  I've posted to German mailing lists when I only
did 2 years of it at school and it's really hard!

I hope this helps you,

Best regards

Alex