[squid-users] Connection Timeouts

Cheadle, Edward Edward.Cheadle at cambiahealth.com
Mon Jun 4 18:05:43 UTC 2018

We had a person leave and I got selected to update and maintain our squid proxy.   We are talking to AWS and they told us that we needed to change the connection_timeout value from the default to 5 min.

We have people stress testing out installation and I was concerned that if connection timeouts are too long we may see congestion.

Should I be worried that connection timeouts will use up file descriptors at a higher rate?

And what might be the options?

Doing and internet search I found a web page at https://www.visolve.com/squid/squid30/timeout.php and in the TIMEOUT description I read

“TIMEOUT

Timeout parameters in Squid can be based on overall connection timeouts, peer-specific timeouts, site/domain-specific timeouts, request-specific timeouts etc. Proper setting of timeout values is critical to optimal Squid performance. Relevant parameters for timeout settings are listed”

Is it possible to narrow the connection timeout to a specific site?  I looked at the website information, squid documentation and did an internet search.

I did not see anything that narrowed the timeout to a specific timeout.

I am trying to set connection timeouts to AWS sites, but keep connection timeouts to the default, because it is working well.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: This communication, including any attachment, contains information that may be confidential or privileged, and is intended solely for the entity or individual to whom it is addressed.  If you are not the intended recipient, you should delete this message and are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message is strictly prohibited.  Nothing in this email, including any attachment, is intended to be a legally binding signature.