[squid-users] squid doesn't cache objects in memory when using SMP and shared memory cache

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Tue Jan 16 23:17:32 UTC 2018

On 01/16/2018 02:40 PM, Ivan Larionov wrote:
> So it's definitely not related to Vary, there's no such header in
> requests I tried.

Just to avoid misunderstanding, please note that Vary is a response header.

> Also this issue affects squid even with 1 worker if
> shared memory is forced to on.

This matches the current suspicion that there is something wrong with
the shared memory cache (in your environment).

> It's not like it makes any sense but how about random example url:
>
> http://techslides.com/demos/samples/sample.mp3
>
> squid 4, 2 workers, shared cache, no disk cache – MEM_HIT
> squid 3, same config – MISS every time
> squid 3, no shared cache – MEM_HIT
>
> Could you do a brief test with this URL may be and confirm that I'm not
> the only one who see this issue?

I cannot confirm that: In primitive wget tests with Squid v3.5 (bzr
r14182), I am getting shared memory hits with the above URL, with or
without cache_dirs, with or without SMP.

Alex.