[squid-users] TCP out of memory

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Mon Jan 8 12:50:23 UTC 2018

On 08/01/18 11:13, Vieri wrote:

> ________________________________
> From: Amos Jeffries <squid3 at treenet.co.nz>
>
>>> The open sockets to 127.0.0.1:1344 keep increasing steadily even on high network usage, but they do not decrease when there's
>>> little or no traffic.>> So, day after day the overall number keeps growing until I have to restart squid once or twice a week.
>>>
>>> In other words, this value keeps growing:
>>> Largest file desc currently in use:   xxxx
>>> This other value can decrease at times, but in the long run it keeps growing too:
>>> Number of file desc currently in use: xxxx
>>>
>> Ah. What does the cachemgr "filedescriptors" report show when there are
>> a lot starting to accumulate?
>>
>> And, are you able to get a cache.log trace with "debug_options 93,6" ?
>

> Here's my cache.log:
>
> https://drive.google.com/file/d/1I8R5sCsIGhYa69QmGrOoHVITuom4uW0k/view?usp=sharing
>
> squidclient's filedescriptors:
>
> https://drive.google.com/file/d/1o6zn-o0atqeqFGSMRhPA9r1AAFJpnpBZ/view?usp=sharing
>
> The info page:
>
> https://drive.google.com/file/d/11iWqjgdt2KK1yWPMsr5o-IyWGyKS7joc/view?usp=sharing
>
> The open fds are at around 7k, but they can easily reach 12k or 13k. That's when I start running into trouble.

Thank you.

I have only taken a brief look, but so far it looks like the problematic
sockets are not participating in any ICAP activity. That implies they
are possibly TCP connections which never complete their opening
sequence, or at least the result of connection attempts does not make it
back to the ICAP code somehow.