[squid-users] Ideas for better caching these popular urls

Eliezer Croitoru eliezer at ngtech.co.il
Wed Apr 11 23:48:29 UTC 2018

Hey Omid,

I found the service I wrote and packed it in a RPM at:
http://ngtech.co.il/repo/centos/7/x86_64/response-dumper-icap-1.0.0-1.el7.centos.x86_64.rpm

If you are using other OS let me know and I will try to package it for your OS.
Currently debian\ubuntu alien converts the RPM smoothly.

The dumps directory is at:
/var/response-dumper

But the cleanup and filtering ACL's are your job.
You can define which GET requests the service dump\log into the files.
Each individual file in this directory will be name in the next format:
<int epoc time>-<8 bytes uuid>-<md5(GET:full url)>

This format will allow multiple requests happen at the same time but have a different name but the URL hash is still the same so you can filter files by this.
To calculate the hash of a URL use:
$ echo -n "GET:http:/url-to-has.com/path?query=terms"|md5sum

In each and every file the full ICAP respmod details exits ie:
ICAP Request\r\n
HTTP Request \r\n
HTTP Response\r\n

By default cookies+authorization headers are censored from both request and response in the dump to avoid some privacy law issues.

Now the only missing feature is RedBot is to feed a single request and a single response to get a full analysis.

Let me know if it works OK for you(works here fine for a while now).

Eliezer

----
Eliezer Croitoru
Linux System Administrator