[squid-users] Squid is very slow after moving to production environment

Eliezer Croitoru eliezer at ngtech.co.il
Tue Apr 10 16:53:15 UTC 2018

Well about Cloned VM's acting slower than the original...
I clearly tested it more then once and it's not true and it's a myth.
The only issue I have seen with such cloned systems(I have a very large cluster of cloned squid instances) is when the admin over-commit the physical machine.
There is another thing in the hypervisor's world that some admins just do not take into account:
- Squid can heavily load a specific CPU.
- You cannot expect the virtualization platform to "create" cycles that do not exist.
- You cannot expect the virtualization platform to.. make the disks or the network perform more than they have avaliable.

I have a fleet of more than 10 hypervisors which run's more than 90 VM's and from them more then 20 percent have Squid-Cache and other services on them.
The only time I had issues was when one of the VM's that was running a java based service took a hit of more then 50k requests per second and took\claimed brutally more CPU and RAM to spare the other VM's and... all the other VM's just crashed with a kernel panic while this specific VM "controlled" or "dominated" the hypervisor resources.

All The Bests,
Eliezer

----
Eliezer Croitoru