[squid-users] Content injection

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Sun Oct 1 10:02:29 UTC 2017

On 01/10/17 21:42, Antony Stone wrote:
> On Sunday 01 October 2017 at 06:26:01, Jeffrey Merkey wrote:
>
>> On 9/30/17, Amos Jeffries wrote:
>>>
>>> For the record:
>>>
>>> Please be aware that HTTP documents are protected by international
>>> copyright laws. Altering other peoples content is illegal in all
>>> countries signatory to the Berne Convention and many other countries
>>> individual copyright laws as well.
>
>> Amos,
>>
>> Does this apply to folks who are providing a translation service via
>> eCap or C-ICAP?  Google provides web page translation so how does this
>> affect folks who are using squid and C-ICAP for translating content
>> between different languages?
>>
>> Jeff

Those ones are treading a fine legal line AIUI. Note that using Googles'
translation service TOC forbids use by software other than en-users
browsers.

> Also, how do ad-blockers, greasemonkey and similar client-side content
> manipulation systems get away with their actions, then?

The client applications you mention are not publishing the content for
other clients to view. Whereas middleware is publishing the content
online for multiple clients to view.

> I doubt there's any legal difference whether the alteration of copyright work
> is done by some middleman, or by software running on the recipient's computer,
> so why are these things acceptable to the copyright owners?

I don't think I've ever said anything was acceptible or otherwise to
publishers. Just that the proxy middle ware modifying content is a legal
issue.

NP: If you want to know the specifics of how the laws apply to these
use-cases please consult a lawyer. I'm only familiar with this one case
of injecting advertising into others HTML Pages that keeps coming up
over, and over again.