[squid-users] Content injection

Antony Stone Antony.Stone at squid.open.source.it
Sun Oct 1 08:42:28 UTC 2017

On Sunday 01 October 2017 at 06:26:01, Jeffrey Merkey wrote:

> On 9/30/17, Amos Jeffries wrote:
> >
> > For the record:
> >
> > Please be aware that HTTP documents are protected by international
> > copyright laws. Altering other peoples content is illegal in all
> > countries signatory to the Berne Convention and many other countries
> > individual copyright laws as well.

> Amos,
>
> Does this apply to folks who are providing a translation service via
> eCap or C-ICAP?  Google provides web page translation so how does this
> affect folks who are using squid and C-ICAP for translating content
> between different languages?
>
> Jeff

Also, how do ad-blockers, greasemonkey and similar client-side content
manipulation systems get away with their actions, then?

I doubt there's any legal difference whether the alteration of copyright work
is done by some middleman, or by software running on the recipient's computer,
so why are these things acceptable to the copyright owners?

Antony.

--
It is also possible that putting the birds in a laboratory setting
inadvertently renders them relatively incompetent.

 - Daniel C Dennett

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.