[squid-users] SQUID memory error after vm.swappines changed from 60 to 10

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Fri Nov 10 15:43:08 UTC 2017

On 11/10/2017 06:16 AM, Bike dernikov1 wrote:

> So you suggest that we totally disable disk swap (or just for
> debuging) ?

I would aim for totally disabling disk swap, but getting to that
configuration is easier if you keep swap enabled and consider any
non-trivial swap use as a problem that you need to fix. After all
non-trivial swap uses are eliminated, it does not really matter much
whether you keep swap enabled or not!

Please note that this suggestion is specific to performance-sensitive
Squid servers -- many other servers have very legitimate reasons to use
swap. YMMV.

> That setting on production can be disaster.

Squid swapping in production is an arguably worse disaster, as you have
learned. In many cases, it is better to deal with a lack of swap than to
rely on swap's magical effects that most humans poorly understand. YMMV.

> We will try, we reduced number of auth helper, prolong ldap caching.
> Little steps but at last every bit counts.

... unless those bits are actually hurting. You may need to understand
your server memory usage better to reduce the time spent on trying
random changes. For example, if auth helpers are close to being
overloaded, reducing their number may make things worse.