[squid-users] SQUID memory error after vm.swappines changed from 60 to 10

Bike dernikov1 dernikov1 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 10 13:16:04 UTC 2017

On Thu, Nov 9, 2017 at 4:03 PM, Alex Rousskov
<rousskov at measurement-factory.com> wrote:

>> So why didn't swap hop in?
>
> As I implied earlier, I do not recommend researching swap-related
> details because I do not recommend using (or relying on) swap.
>
>>> 2. Removing swap (or at least not counting on it and treating
>>>  any non-trivial swap usage as a system misconfiguration).
>
>> What to search ? Key words, vm.swappines got us in problem, as we
>> tried to tune  ?

> I do not understand the question. I am sure you know how to turn swap
> off (i.e., completely disable it).

Question referenced at text inside  ( ).
So you suggest that we totally disable disk  swap  (or just for
debuging) ? That setting on production can be disaster.
We will try, we reduced number of auth helper, prolong ldap caching.
Little steps but at last every bit counts.

>> We have problems with squid.conf reconfiguration, because users lose
>> connection (they got squid error screen for moment) so it is nightmare
>> if we changing configuration in work time.
>
> Yes, this is a common complaint and a known Squid problem.
>
> http://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/AboutSquid#How_to_add_a_new_Squid_feature.2C_enhance.2C_of_fix_something.3F
>
> Alex.

For now we collect requests, and push changes after hour work, so no
problems but we have delay in request, good enough.
Thanks for help.