[squid-users] Squid works with ssl bump in intercept mode and root certificate in browser, but apps does not work

arun.xavier innovature.arun.xavier at gmail.com
Thu May 18 10:26:22 UTC 2017

I have configured squid with ssl-bump (intercept mode) and it works as
expected while accessing secure sites from browsers.

What I have done so far.

 - Configured squid.
 - created a root& intermediate certificate for dynamic cert generation in
squid.
     installed the same root certificate in mobile device(iphone 6 -iOS-10).
 - Every website works on chrome/safari.

But apps like facebook,twitter are not working(showing network error).

When checking cache log of squid, I found the below log.

/Error negotiating SSL connection on FD 12: error:14094418:SSL
routines:ssl3_read_bytes:tlsv1 alert unknown ca (1/0)
/
It looks like initial CONNECT/Handshake is not working.

what I have changed in squid.conf
acl localnet src 172.16.0.0/12
acl localnet src fe80::/10
acl allow localnet
ssl_bump bump all
always_direct allow all
http_port localhost:3128
http_port localhost:3129 intercept
https_port localhost:3130 intercept ssl-bump generate-host-certificates=on
cert=/etc/squid/cert/cert.pem
key=/etc/squid/cert/key.pem
strip_query_terms off

Any idea how to fix this? or where to check? What might be my mistake ?
PS:
I use squid to get logs of all internet traffic from mobile devices.
Overview of my intented system is like this:
SmartPhone---->VPN--->Squid--->Internet