[squid-users] squid workers question

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Thu Mar 9 18:02:17 UTC 2017

>>> Will running with "workers 1" avoid this issue while using separate
>>> processes for diskers?
>

> On 09.03.17 10:01, Alex Rousskov wrote:
>> No. Disker processes need shared memory to communicate with worker(s).
>
> I should rephrase my question:
>
> since aufs is incompatible with SMP and rockstore runs separate diskers,

To clarify: Rock store is supported with our without separate disker
processes. Rock is SMP-aware, SMP-capable, and nonSMP-capable. All other
stores are SMP-unaware and nonSMP-capable.

> is running aufs with rock store and safe, when not running with "-N"?

Running a combination of AUFS and Rock stores in non-SMP mode may be
safe but primary Rock store developers do not test this combination.

Running AUFS in SMP mode is unsafe by default but some admins use
configuration hacks to make it work for them. Primary Store developers
do not test such configurations (or AUFS in general).

Running a combination of AUFS and Rock stores in SMP mode is crazy.