[squid-users] Does squid generates/adds additional HTTP headers?

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Tue Jul 11 20:23:15 UTC 2017

On 07/11/2017 01:00 PM, avi_h wrote:

> I want to configure Squid to make some server(s) think that the
> request is coming directly from a user agent (e.g., browser).
> However, I don't know what those servers use to detect proxies,

Understood. We are still where we used to be then: Without a known
detection vector, it is impossible to recommend a specific solution (or
to declare the problem unsolvable).

> any idea on how I can figure it out?

I can suggest two complementary approaches:

* Experimentation: Send HTTP requests using some highly-configurable
client tool and vary header composition to move from a "browser request"
to "Squid request", one header (or group of headers) at a time. One may
be able to reverse engineer (parts of) the server algorithm this way.

* Asking specific questions: Ask about specific servers your Squid does
not work with. Perhaps others (on this or other mailing lists) know more
about those servers. You already got a response from Sonya Roy
indicating that some Squid modifications helped them. Perhaps Sonya Roy
and/or others know about your servers as well.

> Ideally, I would like to find a solution that would fit all (or the most
> popular) detection mechanisms, if that's possible.

I do not know what all (or the most popular) detection mechanisms are so
I cannot answer this question, but perhaps others on this list can.
Needless to say, if you succeed, then once those servers discover that
their detection mechanism stopped working, they are likely to change it.

This is why we can't have nice things,