[squid-users] Squid on separate box and it can't see packets

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Tue Feb 21 04:06:54 UTC 2017

On 21/02/2017 10:25 a.m., Eliezer  Croitoru wrote:
> And just wanted to add a note that some Linux machines will act as an
> HUB\BRIDGE by default in a similar scenario(will not drop
> packets..). I noticed it while working on some tiny lab and it's
> better to have the linux machine with ipv4_forward turned on with an
> iptables DROP rule rather then without(with some distros and some
> specific kernels).

Nod.

If the machine is working as a true bridge then the packets will not be
going to Squid. It still needs the routing rules to route the packets
from its bridge interface to Squid, and from Squid to its bridge
outerface. Or for that matter to pass them from the bridge
inter/outerfaces and the NAT system.

Amos