[squid-users] Configuring squid to continue tunneling CONNECT requests after client disconnects and reconnects again

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Sat Feb 11 18:03:37 UTC 2017

On 02/11/2017 09:53 AM, Oğuz İsmail Uysal wrote:
> I will explain it as clear as I can do. There is limited internet access
> on a network. It lets you send data and receive reply once, then resets
> the connection. Like I send CONNECT request to my server, squid replies
> with 200 Connection established, I receive it, and connection is reset
> immediately afterwards. Is there any possible way to implement HTTPS
> connection over this network ?

What happens if you use Squid as an HTTPS proxy rather than an HTTP
proxy? In other words, can you configure your client to connect over SSL
to Squid's https_port instead of connecting over plain TCP to Squid's
http_port? After that connection is established, the client will send
CONNECT in both cases, but perhaps the "network" will not reset the SSL
connection to Squid because it would not be able to see HTTP[S]
transaction boundaries inside that SSL connection?

If SSL connections to Squid are prohibited on your network, and only one
HTTP transaction is allowed per HTTP connection, then I cannot think of
a way to send standard HTTPS requests through a standard HTTP proxy.