[squid-users] On using Parent Proxies

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Tue Feb 7 09:05:09 UTC 2017

On 7/02/2017 4:49 a.m., Jude Karuhanga wrote:
> Hello there,
>

> I am new to squid, and would appreciate some help on configuring my
> server to balance traffic between two servers that serve as Gateways
> to the Internet. I attach a simplified configuration file for the
> squid service on the server. I have managed to get the service to
> work using the default gateway, but the redirection through the
> cache_peer does not work: I am unable to access the websites
> included, even though both servers are visible.

Please begin by running "squid -k parse" and fix all the warnings and
errors it reports.

Also;

* "cache deny CONNECT" is pointless. CONNECT traffic cannot be cached.

* a series of "allow" lines followed by an "allow all" is usually
pointless. Just use one line doing "allow all".
 - same for a series of "deny" lines followed by a "deny all".

* For all the lines you have which do this pattern:
"
 ... allow/deny __domain__squid_2
 ... allow/deny CONNECT __domain__squid_2
"
 that second line is pointless. The first line already matches and
allows/denies the CONNECT traffic which the second might match.

Then add "nonhierarchical_direct off".

For info on how load balancing works in Squid see
<http://wiki.squid-cache.org/Features/LoadBalance>

If you still have problems after all that, pelase provide a bit more
details about what you see that is telling you its "not working".