[squid-users] How to enable caching for https websites on Squid

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Wed Dec 20 15:12:26 UTC 2017

On 21/12/17 02:41, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:
>> On 21/12/17 01:23, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:
>>> and I think you should read the last paragraph as:
>>>
>>>  "caching often will not happen, since most of web developers don't
>>> know hot
>>>   so use and benefit of it thus they try to disable caching globally"
>
> On 21.12.17 02:20, Amos Jeffries wrote:
>> That is nothing special for HTTPS, it happens worse in regular HTTP.
>
> do you want to say that breaking into https can cause http caching more
> efficient?
> do you have any evidence of that?

No, I am saying that the problem you pointed at is a _larger_ problem in
http:// because those dev are having to actively prevent caching. Many
are also under the false impression that https:// goes end-to-end and
caching does not happen there other than Browser cache. So those who
develop sites with HTTPS in mind do not go to quite such extremes to
block proxies caching.

HTTPS has _other_ problems that impact on caching efficiency.