[squid-users] Squid configuration not working to set up connection between local and remote hosts

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Mon Dec 18 20:28:57 UTC 2017

On 19/12/17 08:26, tappdint wrote:
> For some context I have a squid proxy  container
> <https://hub.docker.com/r/datadog/squid/>   running on my local computer as
> well as my app. There is another "app" (Selenium) on another host that runs
> test on my local app and needs to be on the same network to access the app.
> This is what I use squid for, to have both the remote an local apps on the
> same docker network.
>
> With my current default configuration, the remote app starts up a chrome
> browser to run the tests but then gives a ERR_PROXY_CONNECTION_FAILED error
> message when trying to access the app host. This leads me to believe that my
> squid proxy's configuration is not set up correctly. The docker hub states
> that /"the configuration available with the container is set for local
> access, you may need to tweak it if your network scenario is different."/.
> I'm not sure exactly what I should be looking into to tweak the config. When
> I had the external app running in a vm locally the proxy was able to set up
> the connection between the two properly but this remote host does not have
> the same results.
>
> Here is my configuration, its just the basic config provided with the image
> with all the extra clutter/comments removed.
> /
>
> http_access allow localnet
> http_access allow localhost

^^ localnet and localhost are permitted, nothing else.

You need to find out what other access Selenium requires and how it can
reliably be identified. Then add http_access rules here to allow it.

> # And finally deny all other access to this proxy
> http_access deny all
>

> # Squid normally listens to port 3128
> http_port 3128
>
> debug_options rotate=1 ALL,2/
>
> Any ideas what I should look at for more information? Thanks!

The access.log records the connection details for the failed requests.
You should usually be able to find most of the details necessary there.