[squid-users] Android client flooding squid

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Tue Dec 12 15:35:59 UTC 2017

On 13/12/17 03:46, Heiler Bemerguy wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> Everyday I get tons of these GETs, a lot from the same IP, then a lot
> from other IPs of our local intranet (we have some APs plugged on our
> intranet). This is happening since forever, but I'm trying to
> understand/get rid of it.
>
> Any ideas?

The client software is broken.

1) using explicit URLs with raw-IPv4 to make its requests, and ..

2) performing Host header forgery. www.google.com is hosted in Googles
servers assigned the 216/8 IP range not the 172/8 range. And ..

3) not obeying the clear instruction that the given Domain is *only*
available when fetched by name (not by raw-IP).

Your options are to either;

  get the client software fixed

OR,
  configure ACLs detecting when such clients deliver those raw-IP URLs
and reject them with a 403 instead of a 301,

That can be done with an external ACL helper in http_reply_access that
tracks 301 + Content-Location and which client they were sent to.
Rejecting them with a 403 after an arbitrary number of repeats.