[squid-users] Squid stopped writing the log files... just for a while.

Antony Stone Antony.Stone at squid.open.source.it
Tue Aug 22 11:35:26 UTC 2017

On Tuesday 22 August 2017 at 13:19:51, VerĂ³nica Ovando wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> Squid has a strange behavior: suddenly, it stops writing the log files
> (access.log and cache.log) for about 30 seconds clients cannot access the
> cache. Because my proxy is using AD auth, I checked the link between them
> and is OK. During the time squid "is down", the number of
> ext_wbinfo_group_acl processes starts growing until Squid operates
> normally. My squid box has 4GB of RAM and enough disk space to store the
> cache.

1. Which version of Squid?

2. What operating system / version is it running under?

3. How many clients access this proxy?

4. How many requests per {second|minute|hour} are you processing?

5. When you say "enough disk space to store the cache", what are the details?

6. 4Gbytes is not a great deal these days - how much is being used, and do you
have any swap (and is any of that being used)?

7. How often does the above behaviour occur?

8. Does it manifest itself immediately after starting Squid, or is there a
longer period where it works normally before this starts happening?

9. Does it seem to occur after any specific requests have gone through, or when
a specific request gets made?

10. What does access_log tell you about the requests immediately before, and
during, the 30 second holdup?

Antony.

--
It is also possible that putting the birds in a laboratory setting
inadvertently renders them relatively incompetent.

 - Daniel C Dennett

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.