[squid-users] Squid stopped writing the log files... just for a while.

VerĂ³nica Ovando vero.ovando at live.com
Wed Aug 23 13:26:53 UTC 2017

>> Hi all.
>>
>> Squid has a strange behavior: suddenly, it stops writing the log files
>> (access.log and cache.log) for about 30 seconds clients cannot access the
>> cache. Because my proxy is using AD auth, I checked the link between them
>> and is OK. During the time squid "is down", the number of
>> ext_wbinfo_group_acl processes starts growing until Squid operates
>> normally. My squid box has 4GB of RAM and enough disk space to store the
>> cache.

>1. Which version of Squid?
Squid 3.4.8

> 2. What operating system / version is it running under?
Debian Jessie 8.7

> 3. How many clients access this proxy?
About 100

> 4. How many requests per {second|minute|hour} are you processing?

> 5. When you say "enough disk space to store the cache", what are the details?
50GB

> 6. 4Gbytes is not a great deal these days - how much is being used, and do you
have any swap (and is any of that being used)?
Squid uses about 50% of the physical memory. 8GB of swap.

> 7. How often does the above behaviour occur?
It happens randomly. Maybe twice, three times or maybe nothing happens.

> 8. Does it manifest itself immediately after starting Squid, or is there a
longer period where it works normally before this starts happening?
No. It happens randomly.

> 9. Does it seem to occur after any specific requests have gone through, or when
a specific request gets made?
No. It happens randomly. I couldn't find nothing relevant about the requests.

> 10. What does access_log tell you about the requests immediately before, and
during, the 30 second holdup?
Nothing. Squid continues responding all the requests normally.

This is the last request until it holdups:
1503416750.346    386 192.168.0.2 TCP_REFRESH_UNMODIFIED/304 235 GET http://www.mysite.com user HIER_DIRECT/www.mysite.com -
This is the next request:
1503416781.864 141376 192.168.0.2 TCP_MISS/200 5599 CONNECT play.google.com:443 user HIER_DIRECT/play.google.com -

--
@verovan