[squid-users] Squid crash - 3.5.21

Jasper Van Der Westhuizen jvdwesthuiz at shoprite.co.za
Tue Oct 4 16:51:52 UTC 2016

On Mon, 2016-10-03 at 11:33 -0600, Alex Rousskov wrote:

On 10/03/2016 04:50 AM, Jasper Van Der Westhuizen wrote:

This morning I had some problems with some of our proxies. 2 Proxies in
cluster A crashed with the below errors. The shortly afterwards 4 in
cluster B did the same. Both clusters are configured to run their cache
in memory with SMP and 4 workers configured.

FATAL: Received Bus Error...dying.

There are at least two possible reasons:

  1. A bug in Squid and
  2. Memory overallocation by the OS kernel.

To fix the former, the developers will need a stack trace (at least). I
recommend filing a bug report after getting that trace and excluding
reason #2. Squid wiki and various system administration guides explain
how to make Squid dump core files.

To check for memory overallocation, you can temporary start Squid v4.0
with "shared_memory_locking on". Unfortunately, that squid.conf
directive is not available in Squid v3. You may be able to emulate it
using some OS-specific sysctl or environment variables, but doing so may
be far from trivial, and I do not have instructions.

Thanks Alex. We have patched the servers to the latest and will monitor. If it happens again I will fill in a bug report and see where it takes us.

Regards
Jasper

Disclaimer:
http://www.shopriteholdings.co.za/Pages/ShopriteE-mailDisclaimer.aspx