[squid-users] Squid crash - 3.5.21

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Mon Oct 3 17:33:15 UTC 2016

On 10/03/2016 04:50 AM, Jasper Van Der Westhuizen wrote:
> This morning I had some problems with some of our proxies. 2 Proxies in
> cluster A crashed with the below errors. The shortly afterwards 4 in
> cluster B did the same. Both clusters are configured to run their cache
> in memory with SMP and 4 workers configured.
>
> FATAL: Received Bus Error...dying.

There are at least two possible reasons:

  1. A bug in Squid and
  2. Memory overallocation by the OS kernel.

To fix the former, the developers will need a stack trace (at least). I
recommend filing a bug report after getting that trace and excluding
reason #2. Squid wiki and various system administration guides explain
how to make Squid dump core files.

To check for memory overallocation, you can temporary start Squid v4.0
with "shared_memory_locking on". Unfortunately, that squid.conf
directive is not available in Squid v3. You may be able to emulate it
using some OS-specific sysctl or environment variables, but doing so may
be far from trivial, and I do not have instructions.

HTH,