[squid-users] Introducing delay to HTTP 407 responses

squid-users at filter.luko.org squid-users at filter.luko.org
Tue Oct 4 10:53:39 UTC 2016

Eliezer,

Thankyou for your reply, I tried the following:

> Hey Luke,
>
> Try to use the next line instead:
> external_acl_type delay ttl=1 negative_ttl=0 cache=0 %SRC %SRCPORT %URI /tmp/delay.pl
>
> And see what happens.

But it's not introducing a delay into the response.  Running strace across the pid of each child helper doesn't show any activity across those processes either.

I also tried the approach suggested by Amos:

> The outcome of that was a 'ext_delayer_acl helper in Squid-3.5
>
> <http://www.squid-cache.org/Versions/v3/3.5/manuals/ext_delayer_acl.html>
>
> It works slightly differently to what was being discussed in the thread.
> see the man page for details on how to configure it.

Using the following config:

external_acl_type delay concurrency=100000 children-max=2 children-startup=1 children-idle=1 cache=10 %URI /tmp/ext_delayer_acl -w 1000 -d
acl http-response-407 http_status 407
acl delay-1sec external delay
http_reply_access deny http-response-407 delay-1sec !all

Debug information from ext_delayer_acl is written to the cache log; I see the processes start up but they are not hit with any requests by Squid.  I also added %SRC %SRCPORT into the configuration, but that didn't seem to help either.

Would the developers be open to adding a configuration-based throttle to authentication responses, avoiding the need for an external helper?  Or alternatively, is there another way to slow down auth responses?  It's comprising about 90% of the log volume (450,000 requests/hr) in badly affected sites at the moment.

Luke