[squid-users] Introducing delay to HTTP 407 responses

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Tue Oct 4 11:18:43 UTC 2016

On 4/10/2016 11:53 p.m., squid-users at filter.luko.org wrote:
> Eliezer,
>
> Thankyou for your reply, I tried the following:
>
>> Hey Luke,
>>
>> Try to use the next line instead:
>> external_acl_type delay ttl=1 negative_ttl=0 cache=0 %SRC %SRCPORT %URI /tmp/delay.pl
>>
>> And see what happens.
>
> But it's not introducing a delay into the response.  Running strace across the pid of each child helper doesn't show any activity across those processes either.

The purpose of that helper is to receive all lookups, and actively pause
responding to them. Having any TTL/cache values except "ttl=0
negative_ttl=0 cache=0" in those options bypasses the helper.

> I also tried the approach suggested by Amos:
>
>> The outcome of that was a 'ext_delayer_acl helper in Squid-3.5
>>
>> <http://www.squid-cache.org/Versions/v3/3.5/manuals/ext_delayer_acl.html>
>>
>> It works slightly differently to what was being discussed in the thread.
>> see the man page for details on how to configure it.
>
> Using the following config:
>
> external_acl_type delay concurrency=100000 children-max=2 children-startup=1 children-idle=1 cache=10 %URI /tmp/ext_delayer_acl -w 1000 -d
> acl http-response-407 http_status 407
> acl delay-1sec external delay
> http_reply_access deny http-response-407 delay-1sec !all
>
> Debug information from ext_delayer_acl is written to the cache log; I see the processes start up but they are not hit with any requests by Squid.  I also added %SRC %SRCPORT into the configuration, but that didn't seem to help either.
>
> Would the developers be open to adding a configuration-based throttle to authentication responses, avoiding the need for an external helper?  Or alternatively, is there another way to slow down auth responses?  It's comprising about 90% of the log volume (450,000 requests/hr) in badly affected sites at the moment.

This helper is the mechanism that we accepted. Anything else would be
far less useful.

I think the results you are getting show that the http_status ACL is not
working properly.

Can you get a "debug_options 28,5" cache.log trace and see if
"aclMatchHTTPStatus" is matching anything or "http-response-407" even
being tested?