[squid-users] Can Traffic Management Settings be configured for other TCP protocols?

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Mon May 16 20:47:23 UTC 2016

On 05/16/2016 01:49 PM, J Green wrote:
> Sorry, I was looking for logging of traffic management events, where
> maximum download/upload size has been violated.

When it comes to logging, I recommend that you think in terms of
transactions rather than traffic management events because Squid logs
transactions, not events (except for extraordinary events logged in
cache.log that should not be abused for your purposes).

If Squid abnormally terminates a transaction for any reason, including
exceeding size restrictions, the corresponding access log entry should
reflect that. I do not know whether the logged details would be
sufficient to identify the particular events you are interested in.

Furthermore, if you can express "maximum download/upload size has been
violated" condition using existing Squid ACLs, then you can log all
transactions that meet that condition to a special access log (and/or
log no other transactions).

  http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/config/access_log/

If you cannot express that condition using existing Squid ACLs, you may
facilitate adding new Squid ACLs that would allow you to do so. If you
have to go this route, please define exactly what transactions each new
ACLs will match. The more transactions an ACL can apply to (i.e., can be
evaluated against), the better.

Alex.