[squid-users] squid with sslbump blocking Netflix

Eliezer Croitoru eliezer at ngtech.co.il
Wed Mar 2 21:42:15 UTC 2016

On 02/03/2016 21:33, Yuri Voinov wrote:

> Yes, and in some places the law prohibit SSL bump completely....
>
> But AFAIK here is technical list, not lawer, is it?;)

Yuri,

You are right but since some of us do have legal obligations to some
laws and do not live in a desert on the moon or the sun like Google or
other services, I do tend to mention this side since it's not obviates
to everybody.

Also I do understand why netflix would want to preserve their profits
and investment in any of their services. Eventually they like many
others do not like their plate of food being taken while smelling or
tasting the result of their cooking skills.
There is a saying about eating raw non cooked food which I fully
understand and this is the same for this scenario. If it was cooked, you
need to at-least say thank you and in many ways the only way to do so is
by paying couple bucks.
The only case which I think that it will be allowed by the cook and the
owner of the food to be taken is when it will not heart him or any of
the related parties life\soul.
Eventually maybe not everybody sees it this way but the possibility of
pinning a certificate is reserved for anyone that needs to have a basic
safety-net for his basic needs. The way I see it, the only case that I
will live in a country that prohibit the use of certificate pinning is
when this country will provide me the basic safety-net for a way to earn
my food(and couple other basic needs..).

If for example the "lets encrypt" idea\program was designed to give a
safety-net for many organizations which are fighting to survive in this
very wide Internet with so many predators within it, then I vote +1 for
them but if the idea was meant to or will cripple the encryption world I
would vote -10^1000000.

So it's not really a lawyer thing but rather a simple understanding of
this very very beautiful and amazing world.

Eliezer