[squid-users] HTTPS bump doesn't work with websites that require SNI

Yiğitcan UÇUM yucum at amonra.com.tr
Sun Jul 10 12:48:56 UTC 2016

Hello there. We're using pfsense and squid-proxy to bump https connections
between some of our machines and www. The setup seems to works fine for
most of the https sites, but it doesn't work for the others.

One example to this sites is "docs.docker.com". Even though we can connect
to "docker.com", we can't connect to "docs.docker.com".

The error we get is:

(92) Protocol error (TLS code: SQUID_ERR_SSL_HANDSHAKE)

Handshake with SSL server failed: error:14077410:SSL
routines:SSL23_GET_SERVER_HELLO:sslv3 alert handshake failure

Upon further investigation we found out that this happens because some
sites require SNI to supply correct SSL certificate.

You can test this out with:

openssl s_client -connect docs.docker.com:443 -> ERROR

140612823746464:error:14077410:SSL routines:SSL23_GET_SERVER_HELLO:sslv3
alert handshake failure:s23_clnt.c:744:

openssl s_client -connect docs.docker.com:443 -servername docs.docker.com ->
Works

Squid seems to make https request without the SNI. How can we configure
Squid to use SNI? Thanks.