[squid-users] host_verify_strict and wildcard SNI

Yuri Voinov yvoinov at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 20:14:32 UTC 2016

I know. Just asked. Since I am familiar with the standards.

07.07.2016 1:54, Eliezer Croitoru пишет:
> Hey Yuri,
>
> These two subjects are not related directly to each other but they
might have something in common.
> Squid expects clients connections to meet the basic RFC6066 section 3:
> https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6066#section-3
>
> Which states that a host name should be there and the legal characters
of a hostname from both rfc1035 and rc6066 are very speicifc.
> If a specific software are trying to request a wrong sni name it's an
issue in the client side request or software error handling and enforcement.
> A http server would probably respond with a 4XX response code or the
default certificate.
> There are other options of course but the first thing to check is if
the client is a real browser or some special creature that tries it's
luck with a special form of ssl.
> To my understanding host_verify_strict tries to enforce basic security
levels while in a transparent proxy the rules will always change.

> Eliezer
>
> ----
> Eliezer Croitoru
> Linux System Administrator