[squid-users] Help - Squid for windows - Configuring upstream proxy with Active Directory authentication details

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Thu Jan 28 01:20:57 UTC 2016

On 28/01/2016 5:58 a.m., mathew abraham wrote:
> Hi All, I am a newbie to squid. I have installed squid 3.5 for
> windows on a Windows server 2012R2 machine. The idea for this is to
> act as a proxy which takes request from windows clients and forwards
> it to cisco scansafe proxy; where scansafe proxy's will look at the
> request and based on the users AD group membership will allow or deny
> the request. I managed to configure the upstream but its not
> forwarding any AD info hence every page is allowed.
> Could some one help?
> We are on Windows Server 2012 R2 environment.
> TIA

It seems to me you have one of the situations in which using Squid is
pointless. You may as well configure the clients to use the Cisco
directly and have it do everything. OR, remove the Cisco and have Squid
do the traffic control.

Windows authentication does not work at all well through multiple layers
of proxies. It is designed for use within LANs. In order to use it in
the Cisco, Squid will have to disable almost all of the HTTP performance
and optimization functionality which makes Squid useful.

So why this particular setup?