[squid-users] Compile install Squid, configure default options.

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Wed Jan 13 16:11:21 UTC 2016

On 14/01/2016 2:52 a.m., Eliezer Croitoru wrote:
> On 13/01/2016 11:36, Billy.Zheng (zw963) wrote:
>> So the problem is: Why configure not detect out my system missing g++
>> until I run make,  it told me `g++: command not found' ?
>
> There might be something wrong in the configure script as far as I can
> tell since your configure shows the next:
> checking for g++... no
> checking for c++... no
> checking for gpp... no
> checking for aCC... no
> checking for CC... no
> checking for cxx... no
> checking for cc++... no
> checking for cl.exe... no
> checking for FCC... no
> checking for KCC... no
> checking for RCC... no
> checking for xlC_r... no
> checking for xlC... no
> checking whether we are using the GNU C++ compiler... no
> checking whether g++ accepts -g... no
> checking dependency style of g++... none
>
> Which should somehow understand that there is no g++, then why it tries
> to run it?

autoconf assumes that if the CXX environment variable contains a value
that there is a compiler by that name available, even if it can't detect
what type of compiler it is.

Apparently gcc installation sets CXX="g++" even when the g++ compiler
bits are not installed.

> I can install a new CentOS 7 VM and see this issue.
> Can you file a bugzilla report so I can test the issue and report there?
> fill your details there..
> http://bugs.squid-cache.org/

There is nothing we can do about this.