[squid-users] Delay Pools or Traffic Shaping per port?!

Christian Kunkel ckunkel at fischie.com
Sun Jan 3 11:35:10 UTC 2016

> Am 03.01.2016 um 10:13 schrieb Antony Stone <Antony.Stone at squid.open.source.it>:
>
>> On Sunday 03 January 2016 at 09:42:21, Christian Kunkel wrote:
>>
>> Am 03.01.2016 um 01:14 schrieb Antony Stone;

>>> Yes, but it's nowhere near as good as doing it with IP tools on the
>>> underlying O/S.
>>
>> ok. thats what i thought too. any hint there?
>
> http://lartc.org/howto/lartc.qdisc.html
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Advanced_traffic_control
> http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/config/tcp_outgoing_mark/

ty. i will check that!

>>> No idea, without knowing where you're starting from.
>>
>> http_port 1337
>> http_port 1338
>> and so on. every user gets his oen port. by using delay pools or something
>> i can limit their speed then?!
>
> How many users do you have?

i wanted to put about 200-500 users on a server. is that possible?

>>> Almost certainly.
>>>
>>> Explain, in as much detail as you can:
>>>
>>> - what your networking setup is
>>
>> what do you need to know here?
>
> Well, for example:
>
> - are your clients all in a consistent network range, or are they spread
> across the Internet?

across the internet.

> - are multiple clients NATted behind a single router, or do they have unique
> IP addresses as far as Squid is concerned?

NAT is in place. so no way to use ip as a unique identifier.

> - if clients are NATted, can you use a VPN so that Squid can see the real IP
> address of each user?

vpn was discussed but we can not use it.

> - are you trying to limit the *inbound* bandwidth to Squid per user, or the
> *outbound* bandwidth from Squid to each user?
i want to limit the bandwidth. lets say user has 50mbit but i want him only to use 10mbit.

> - how many IP addresses and network interfaces does the Squid server have?

right now only one. but it can grow if needed.
> - what's the primary reason for wanting to restrict the bandwidth per user?
server has not unlimited speed. better control of the server bandwidth.