[squid-users] Delay Pools or Traffic Shaping per port?!

Antony Stone Antony.Stone at squid.open.source.it
Sun Jan 3 09:13:21 UTC 2016

http://lartc.org/howto/lartc.qdisc.html
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Advanced_traffic_control
http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/config/tcp_outgoing_mark/

> >> I've been thinking to create a multiple ports with squid and limit the
> >> ports. How can i do that?
> >
> > No idea, without knowing where you're starting from.
>
> http_port 1337
> http_port 1338
> and so on. every user gets his oen port. by using delay pools or something
> i can limit their speed then?!

How many users do you have?

> >> Or is there a better way?
> >
> > Almost certainly.
> >
> > Explain, in as much detail as you can:
> >
> > - what your networking setup is
>
> what do you need to know here?

Well, for example:

 - are your clients all in a consistent network range, or are they spread
across the Internet?

 - are multiple clients NATted behind a single router, or do they have unique
IP addresses as far as Squid is concerned?

 - if clients are NATted, can you use a VPN so that Squid can see the real IP
address of each user?

 - are you trying to limit the *inbound* bandwidth to Squid per user, or the
*outbound* bandwidth from Squid to each user?

 - how many IP addresses and network interfaces does the Squid server have?

 - what's the primary reason for wanting to restrict the bandwidth per user?

Regards,

Antony.

--
"In fact I wanted to be John Cleese and it took me some time to realise that
the job was already taken."

 - Douglas Adams

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.