[squid-users] Youtube "challenges"

Steve Hill steve at opendium.com
Wed Feb 24 09:59:03 UTC 2016

On 23/02/16 05:01, Darren wrote:

> AI am putting together a config to allow the kids to access selected
> videos in YouTube from a page of links on a local server.
>
> I am serving up the YouTube links in the <iframe> format that is used
> for embedding and they play embedded on a page from a local server.
>
> The issues is that YouTube is "doing the world a favor" by enforcing
> HTTPS connections from within the code it services into the iframe so I
> can't see anything that goes on and need to allow CONNECT to YouTube via
> squid or I don't get any video.
>
> I want to make sure the kids don't stray out of the selected library and
> I don't want them being able to go onto https://www.youtube.com (the the
> CONNECT ACL)

Two options:

1. Use the Google Apps / YouTube Restricted Mode integration.  There's
some info here:
http://www.opendium.com/node/46
https://support.google.com/a/topic/6206681

2. SSL bump the connection and do some slightly painful real-time
analysis of the data.

For what its worth, we sell filtering systems to schools across the UK
and as far as I know, our product is the only one available that can do
the latter.
See: http://www.opendium.com/node/41

--
  - Steve Hill