[squid-users] How to log ACL to custom log

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Thu Aug 25 16:06:11 UTC 2016

On 08/25/2016 09:27 AM, Michael Pelletier wrote:

> I would like to log ACLs Pass \ Blocks in the access.log.

If you want to log the name of the ACL that resulted in an http_access
allow or deny decision, then there is only poor/indirect support for
that right now AFAIK: You can kind of do that via an annotation-setting
external ACL at the end of each http_access rule, but that is not a good
solution for many reasons.

The upcoming annotate_transaction ACLs will help with that, but even
they are not a good solution if you have many http_access rules.

Squid already has a concept of a "blocking ACL name" because deny_info
needs that. The underlying implementation is extremely kludgey and not
reliable. We should support this better and make the blocking ACL name
available via a new logformat code, at least. I do not think this would
be very difficult to implement, but decent knowledge of ACL code may be
required to replace the kludge mentioned above.

HTH,