[squid-users] Stuggling with 3.5.16 on FreeBSD-9.3

Odhiambo Washington odhiambo at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 08:46:14 UTC 2016

On 18 April 2016 at 20:14, Nick Rogers <ncrogers at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 15, 2016 at 8:45 AM, Odhiambo Washington <odhiambo at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello Amos,
>>
>> All noted.
>>
>> Lemme consult with some FreeBSD guys on these .
>>

> As a FreeBSD user, here's my two cents.
>
> You should be using the www/squid port.
>
> If the port doesn't compile with the options you wish, open a problem
> report with FreeBSD and/or ask on the FreeBSD ports mailing list. The
> maintainer of the www/squid port is pretty responsive and helpful.
>
> I don't have any issues with www/squid on FreeBSD 10.1-RELEASE.

That much I know, and love, but this box was running squid-2.7.9 for years
and was in production servicing about 100 users. I wasn't going to do 'make
install' from the port and cause disruption. Plus I came to realize only
later that 3.2.16 was the www/squid.
For the record, I like playing with new software manually, compiling by
hand and testing before deploying. That's why I was struggling with this
'by hand'. Also note that my FreeBSD version was 8.4 (EoL).

--
Best regards,
Odhiambo WASHINGTON,