[squid-users] Error starting 3.5.16 on FreeBSD-8.4

Odhiambo Washington odhiambo at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 15:20:02 UTC 2016

On 8 April 2016 at 17:59, Amos Jeffries <squid3 at treenet.co.nz> wrote:

> On 9/04/2016 2:38 a.m., Odhiambo Washington wrote:
> > Now that Yuri has reported success, shall I wait for something for
> 3.5.16??
>
> No that means his problem was unrelated to yours.

Alright.

> The 3.5.16 code in this area was correctly using errno. So the message
> it was giving you was correct for your issue.

:-)

> > Could it be that I am the onlt one trying 3.5.16 on this old version of
> > FreeBSD? I am saying that because it is running well on FreeBSD-10.3
> since
> > two days ago.
>

> Possibly yes. Or a compiler / stdlib related issue. 10 uses clang and
> 8.x use an old GCC IIRC.

How do I get round to fixing it then??

> > There is another e-mail I sent about 4.0.8 failing to compile
> successfully
> > on FreeBSD 10.3. Still waiting for response on that too.
>
> If you mean the list query "compiling 4.0.8 on FreeBSD-10.1" I replied
> to yesterday.

I hadn't seen the reply. Lemme follow that advise.

> > I'd like to 'transparently intercept' https traffic (facebook, youtube
> and
> > a few other sites which users love so much) and subject those to
> time-based
> > ACLs. I have been looking around the cookbooks/howtos and I cannot
> pinpoint
> > which one is the definitive one to follow. Is it this one:
> > http://wiki.squid-cache.org/ConfigExamples/Intercept/SslBumpExplicit
> >

> Thats the best one we have in the wiki at the moment.

Hopefully I get the 3.5.16 running, because 4.0.x doesnt compile on
FreeBSD-8.4 as follows:

[wash at gw ~/Tools/Squid/4.x/squid-4.0.8]$ ../build-4.sh
checking for a thread-safe mkdir -p... cfgaux/install-sh -c -d
checking for gawk... gawk
checking whether make supports nested variables... yes
checking whether UID '1001' is supported by ustar format... yes
checking whether GID '0' is supported by ustar format... yes
checking how to create a ustar tar archive... gnutar
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking whether gcc understands -c and -o together... yes
checking for g++... g++
checking whether g++ accepts -g... yes
checking dependency style of g++... gcc3
checking build system type... i386-unknown-freebsd8.4
checking host system type... i386-unknown-freebsd8.4
configure: CPU arch native optimization enabled: auto
checking whether compiler accepts -march=native... yes
checking simplified host os... freebsd (version 8.4)
checking whether g++ supports C++11 features by default... no
checking whether g++ supports C++11 features with -std=c++11... no
checking whether g++ supports C++11 features with -std=c++0x... no
*configure: error: *** A compiler with support for C++11 language features
is required.*
[wash at gw ~/Tools/Squid/4.x/squid-4.0.8]$ uname -a
FreeBSD gw.cVWWV.com 8.4-STABLE FreeBSD 8.4-STABLE #15: Sun May 17 14:28:17
EAT 2015     root at gw.VWWV.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GW  i386

--
Best regards,
Odhiambo WASHINGTON,