[squid-users] analyzing cache in and out files

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Wed Sep 30 07:13:14 UTC 2015

On 29.09.15 13:57, Leonardo Rodrigues wrote:
>    i'm not a squid expert, but it seems that things became much
>easier when squid becames fully HTTP/1.1 compliant.

that wasn;t the problem...

>    Caching huge files do not changed, that's needed for caching
>Windows Update files. Storage space, however, is becaming cheaper
>every year. In my setup, for example, i'm caching files up to 500Mb,
>i have absolutely no intention of caching ALL Windows Update files.

the problem was iirc in caching partial objects
http://wiki.squid-cache.org/Features/PartialResponsesCaching

that problem could be avoided with properly setting range_offset_limit
http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/config/range_offset_limit/
but that also means that whole files instead of just their parts are
fetched.

it's quite possible that microsoft changed the windows updates to be smaller
files, but I don't know anything about this, so I wonder if you really do
cache windows updates, and how does the caching work related to informations
above...
Microsoft dick is soft to do no harm