[squid-users] analyzing cache in and out files

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Mon Sep 28 20:55:20 UTC 2015

On 29/09/2015 7:59 a.m., Leonardo Rodrigues wrote:

>     Hi,
>
>     I have a running squid that, until some weeks ago, was not doing any
> kind of cache, it was just used for access controle rules. Now i have
> enabled it for windows updateand some specificURLs caching and it's just
> working fine.
>
>     I was looking, however, for a way of tracking files that are getting
> into the cache and excluded fromit. At first, i tough store_log would be
> the way, but the comment on cache_store_log default squid.conf file
> dissapointed me:"There are not really utilities to analyze this data"
>
>     Which log coud i enable, if there's any, to help me analyze files
> (and its URLs) getting into and out of the cache dirs ?? I'm using squid
> 3.5.8 btw.

The store.log is the one recording what gets added and removed from
cache. It is just that there are no available tools to do the analysis
you are asking for. Most admin (and thus tools aimed at them) are more
concerned with whether cached files are re-used (HITs and near-HITs) or
not. That is recorded in the access.log and almost all analysis tools
use that log in one format or another.