[squid-users] Building squid | Best Practices?

Eliezer Croitoru eliezer at ngtech.co.il
Mon Sep 7 20:58:28 UTC 2015

Hey Howard,

On 07/09/2015 21:32, Howard Waterfall wrote:
> 1) Earlier in the thread, Amos suggested I run:
>
> apt-get build-dep squid

You would need to use the "squid3" and not "squid" since this is the
package ubuntu builds squid for.
so the command should be:
apt-get build-dep squid3

I have seen you enabled deb-src in your sources.list file.
This is the opposite to the requirements.
You must have a deb-src that will have "squid3" sources in it.
If you try "squid" it(apt-get) assumes that you know what package you
want and in a case you it can't find sources for that package it will
tell you that it needs a relevant deb-src.
All that is irrelevant since you have used the wrong package.

There is also a big different between building a basic squid to a more
advanced squid which supports all sorts of helpers.
The manual way of compiling as I showed in the past at:

I had a init script for ubuntu somewhere but it kind of got lost in a
data loss couple years ago.
You can however install squid3, copy the init script and then purge it
or just download the source package(mentioned in diladele article)that
includes the init script.

All The Bests,
Eliezer