[squid-users] Inconsistent accessing of the cache, craigslist.org images, wacky stuff.

Jester Purtteman jester at optimera.us
Thu Oct 29 02:02:34 UTC 2015

Probably a good idea there, I have not used bind in a very, very long time, but I will give it a shot.

I am still having some issues, but at least now they're all within the bounds of consistent and "what-i-expect" behavior, I just need to think through how to outsmart a couple issues.  The big one now is that many addresses appears to change by the time it the system downloads a particularly large file (Windows updates, to be specific), so it ends up releasing it almost immediately (because of the header spoofing prevention I was talking about in this chain), which is only frustrating because caching big updates would be a huge gain for us.  So far, out of 20 GB transferred, about 6-gb has been windows/apple updates, and that from several hosts.  I'll see if I can get BIND to grab that and cache that resolution a little longer, and hang on to it, but my bigger question is:  if I setup a parent proxy that ONLY grabs the big updates down on my big-fast-cheap connection, then set my little-slow-expensive-connection up to pull from that connection, would that have a higher chance of success?  Since the proxy on the slow system is requesting the same object, I'm wondering if that may work out better.  Not sure that will have the desired effect, but I'm going to try it out, I'll let you know how that works out.