[squid-users] analyzing cache in and out files

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Thu Oct 1 17:28:10 UTC 2015

On 30.09.15 11:08, Leonardo Rodrigues wrote:
>    yes, i'm definitely caching windows update files !!
>
>[root at firewall ~]# cd /var/squid/
>[root at firewall squid]# for i in `find . -type f`; do strings $i |
>head -3 | grep "http://"; done  | grep windowsupdate | wc -l
>824
>
>    and yes, i had to configure range_offset_limit:
>
>range_offset_limit 500 MB updates
>minimum_object_size 500 KB
>maximum_object_size 500 MB
>quick_abort_min -1
>
>(being 'updates' the ACL with the URLs to be cached, basically
>windowsupdate and avast definition updates - the second one required
>further tweaks with storeid_rewrite for the CDN URLs)

of course... BTW at one of my customers I noticed downloading the same HUGE
files multiple times a day from a few machines - comodo antivirus.
Some of updates have wven worse design...

>    from access.log, i see a lot of TCP_HIT/206 (and just a few
>TCP_HIT/200), so it seems squid is able to get the fully cached file
>and provide the smaller pieces requested:
>
>[root at firewall squid]# grep "TCP_HIT/" access.log | grep
>windowsupdate | wc -l
>9860
>[root at firewall squid]# bzcat access.log.20150927.bz2 | grep
>"TCP_HIT/" | grep windowsupdate | wc -l
>38584

can you provide maximum size of those files?

>    having squid to download the WHOLE file at the very first request
>(even a partial request) may be bad, but considering it will be used
>later to provide the data for other requests, even partial ones, make
>things a little better.
>
>(this windowsupdate caching is running just for a few weeks, i expect
>HITs to grow a little more)

watching this and providing information would be nice from you...

Micro$oft random number generator: 0, 0, 0, 4.33e+67, 0, 0, 0...