[squid-users] Redirect on Debian 7

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Fri Mar 20 05:27:13 UTC 2015

On 19/03/2015 11:28 p.m., nobs at nobswolf.info wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I use the standard-Squid on Debian 7 and I'd like to create a
> redirect script.
>
> The documentation looks quite simple, but its not very logical to me.
> Some say just repeating the URL is ok, others say there is an ID
> that needs to get repeated in the answer. Some say you need to
> send an OK with the answer.

That depends on what version of the helper protocol the tutorial was
written about. It also varies by when helper type you are writing.

The definitive reference is the Squid wiki feature page about helpers
<http://wiki.squid-cache.org/Features/AddonHelpers>

> Then I tried to use a simple script with tee to debug. It works
> quite well on the console, but does nothing in Squid. Squid
> behaves strange when I use the script.

The brief FAQ section at the top of the wiki page has outline of the
common problems encountered.
You can find example scripts in the Squid sources as helpers called "fake".

<http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~squid/squid/3.5/files/head:/helpers/url_rewrite/fake/>