[squid-users] PAM/Radius authentication question with Squid.3.1.10

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Mon Jun 8 07:43:26 UTC 2015

On 6/06/2015 7:09 p.m., Pugal Scout wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Apologies if this question has been asked earlier. Is it possible to setup
> squid authentication as below:
> Use /etc/passwd for user account verification and radius for password?

The provided auth helpers for Squid can check against *one* backend type
for each auth scheme. Anything more compicated requires a custom written
auth helper. Although technically some of the helpers can auto-detect or
be configured for multiple backends of the same type.

> I have verified radius authentication is successful on the squid server.
> auth_param basic program /usr/lib64/squid/squid_radius_auth -f
> /etc/radius_config
>
> The radius database contains lot more users then I want to let them in. I
> only want to allow users who have local accounts on the squid server in
> /etc/passwd and radius for password verification?

The usual way to do this is by using "groups" of users, one group having
access permission to use the proxy.

See the external ACL helpers for options about looking up user group(s).