[squid-users] Squid and ufdbGuard, display blocked URL on client browser address bar

Marcus Kool marcus.kool at urlfilterdb.com
Fri Jul 10 10:31:21 UTC 2015

On 07/10/2015 12:54 AM, Amos Jeffries wrote:
> On 10/07/2015 9:51 a.m., David Touzeau wrote:
>> Hi ikna
>>
>> This can be done, but you need to forget the ufdbgclient and create
>> yourself a new one that is able to connect to the ufdbguard server in
>> order to get ufdbguard results.
>> In this case, you have with your code to replace the  OK status=302
>> url="" sent by ufdbguard server by OK rewrite-url=""
>>
>> Then the address bar will be not changed.
>>
>> If you need an example, you will find it after installing this open
>> source software :
>> http://sourceforge.net/projects/artica-squid/files/ISO/proxy-appliances/
>>

> Thats not what he is asking for though.
>
> He is asking to change the page *content*. By only altering the URL
> request-line on the received message.
>
> The answer is to change what the http://10.1.1.142/sgerror.php script
> does. So it displays the url= parameter instead of its own full URL.

Ikna contacted me yesterday and I have sent the same answer yesterday
directly without notifying the list.

The issue is basically that URL redirectors usually send an HTML 302
redirection code to redirect a blocked URL to an error page.
squidGuard and ufdbGuard use by default the 302 code.

Ikna has, however, a 404 code which behaves differrent and likes to know
how to configure ufdbGuard to send a 404 code.  This is the same as with
squidGuard:
    redirect "404:<some-URL>"

> IMPORTANT:  doing that was a XSS / open-proxy vulnerability that
> squidguard had. Its not a good idea to just dump out query-string data
> delivered by the client as body content. It needs to be sanitized
> properly first.

ufdbGuard sends a sanitised URL so in this case dumping out the value of the
url= parameter is safe.

Marcus