[squid-users] Squid mikrotik public IP

Antony Stone Antony.Stone at squid.open.source.it
Sun Jul 5 12:34:11 UTC 2015

On Sunday 05 July 2015 at 13:27:00 (EU time), san2roy wrote:

> <http://squid-web-proxy-cache.1019090.n4.nabble.com/file/n4672057/Network.p
> ng>
>
> This is my setup which need to work. as i am very new in squid need your
> help. my setup are following
>
> Squid 3.5.5
> centos 6.6
> Mikrotik Router os 6
> WAN IP : 125.20.xx.32/30
> Client IP : 103.16.xx.0/24 (public IP)

Why are you using public IPs on your internal client machines?

Are you running any services on those machines which need to be accessed from
the Internet (ie: they're not just clients, they're servers too)?

I'm rather amazed that any ISP these days would assign you a public /24
without a very good reason.

I would say it's a bad idea, both from a security point of view (yours), and
also from a net friendliness point of view (you're using up a /24 which other
people are desperately tryng to get for good reasons).

However, getting back to the Squid setup, Squid doesn't care whether the IPs
assigned to your "client" machines are public or private.

You define the local network range which Squid is supposed to accept requests
from, and that's that - there's no difference between public and private IPs.

So, tell us what setup you had working with private IPs (ie: show us your
squid.conf without comments or blank lines), and then tell us what changes you
made to accommodate the public address range, and tell us what's not now
working.

Regards,

Antony.

--
Ramdisk is not an installation procedure.

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.