[squid-users] Squid compatibility with Ubuntu Server 14.10

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Fri Feb 20 11:49:25 UTC 2015

On 20/02/2015 10:52 p.m., BennoBright.MariaEphrem wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We got a requirement as setting up a squid proxy in the Linux OS.  Squid proxy is new for me.   It will be helpful if I got clarification for the below questions.
>

> 1)       Is it Squid proxy compatible with Ubuntu Server 14.10.

Yes. Squid is compatible with all popular OS in the market - and quite a
few others as well. With some major limitations when used on Windows or
MacOS.

> 2)      Which Squid proxy version fit in more appropriate with the Ubuntu Server 14.10.

"apt-get install squid" (or maybe selecting Squid in the package manager
menu) installs the Ubuntu provided 3.1 package. This is the definitively
the most appropriate fit for that Ubuntu version - because it was
created and built specifically for installing there.

For a newer Squid I think you can also install the "squid3" package from
the Debian Testing/Jesse or Unstable/Sid repositories fairly easily. It
is a recent 3.4 with some relevant patches from the latest 3.4.11/12
releases.

Going to the Debian package you trade Upstart integration and Ubuntu
paid support for more up-to-date bug fixes, features and speed.

> 3)      Performance wise is there any recommendation to choose OS and Squid proxy combination with respect to the version etc?

Performance is an ongoing work. Each Squid version is a little better
than the previous. So the answer will always be "the latest".

Whether the gradual improvements actually matter for you depends on what
the expected bandwith load is going to be...

- If you are installing it to have up to 30Mbps of traffic thrown
through it then any of the recent Squid should be just fine.

- If you are expecting over 30Mbps traffic rates from a single proxy
then go with the latest (see answer for #2) and prepare yourself to
start learning how to fine tune the config for performance, and later
perhapse also how to custom build with even more tuning.

- A single Squid can reach to somewhere between 50Mbps and 100Mbps at
present with tuning last I heard, then things start to get fancy with
heirarchies for higher traffic volumes.

> 4)      Where can I see the list of Linux server versions which are compatible with the Squid Proxy.

All of them are. See answer for #1.

The best choice is to go with the OS you (or your sysadmin) are most
comfortible with managing already. Learning one new piece of software is
enough, and Squid will operate pretty much the same on most OS.